Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tierra and Anthony, this is for you

I've caved, I've began to hiss but bonus, it's totally acceptable, in fact it's normal. Definition of hissing: the proper way to get someone's attention, the preferred mode of communication as opposed to hollering, shouting, yelling or running after someone. You can hiss at the man collecting money on the bus, to notify him this is your stop or so that he will take your smelly cash. You can hiss at the students and friends walking on campus as you are on the third floor and they are in a hurried crowd beneath. You can hiss at the Mzungu as they walk by, offering them a cab ride or you can hiss at your friends in a crowded room, knowing they will hear you, like a secret code. Burundian's have this sound perfected, as if they can tune out all the insignificant hisses and just hear the ones for them. They don't even glance up in surprise they just respond appropriately, with a smile, a nod, a wave or jump in a taxi.  I must admit, though I've begun to use this form of communication I haven't quite perfected the art of tuning out the unnecessary hisses, the ones not meant for me. So I turn, I glance and look around, trying to determine who is in need of my attention. I fully support this option, why yell at your friend across campus and have everyone turn and stare and be mortified because you have just broken so many cultural norms, instead hiss, let the breath come out between your lips, being sure to place your tongue in a spot where you'll be loud enough to be heard by the desired party of your attention.

Be encouraged, development is happening. It's slow but noticable. Two weeks ago when I returned from Kenya there was a new section of 'sidewalk' (I use that term loosely) that had been paved. I noticed because it's right on the way to my favorite place to buy bread, in the heart of downtown Bujumbura, it might not have been significant to others but it was important to me, I'm sure the security guard downtown thought I was loosing it as I smiled in delight at the new piece of concrete. Also our normal bus route has been 'deviated' as the road is under major repair, I'll let you know the outcome later :) But I don't mind that small inconvenience if it means a smoother road. Thursday last week it seemed as if everyone had decided to work, there was a pipe being installed just outside the campus walls and a power source for the campus was being installed as well and a road that was being paved just east of campus. This is all good news! It's sometimes a slow process here, day after day things seem to remain the same, change is hard to come by and the infrastructure that seems so frustrating continues down the same path it has always taken so you can imagine the joy when we see things happen right before our eyes, jobs are available, change is happening and the most exciting of all development in Bujumbura continues. I just returned from a trip to Rwanda and part of me didn't expect to see anything different when I came home, I was just so happy to return (I mean it!) to my hot and sticky Buja that I didn't care how it looked but low and behold there were new signs being painted on several of the buildings. In my sappiness the work that happens is a lot like the process that must take place for Burundi to be rebuilt, to be healthy, to be a trendsetter. It might be slow but it seems to be consistent, little by little we are in the process of a transformation.

Celine, I'm pretty sure you don't read my blog but on the off chance you do PLEASE come to Burundi. It seems as if all of your number one fans are right here in Bujumbura. I say this with confidence because your faithful followers blare your music from their stereo's, which happen to be just a few doors down from mine. They feel compelled to play your music morning, noon and night. I often sing along because let's be honest who doesn't like Celine Dion? But we would love some variety, some updated music and maybe your presence here would fill their desire for good French music.


Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment