Thursday, April 22, 2010

The beginning again

We have been many times TO the market. To buy vegetables or transfer buses but never before have we actually been INSIDE. Yesterday we went in. I don't think I have been fearful since I arrived but yesterday there was definitely a little apprehension. We have heard so many negative comments about the market, how crazy it is, how you can't walk anywhere without a crowd of followers or pick pockets around every corner. So you can see why I had a little apprehension. But a very wise woman encouraged us to go. 'Now is the time' she said, 'leave everything at home, take only the money in your pockets and go'. And so we went. I'm not sure if it's a girl thing or just a Stephanie thing but I really enjoy the hunt that comes along with shopping. It probably should have stressed me out and caused me to panic and to be alert but I actually really enjoyed it.
It was like a mega-warehouse full of goods. A hardware section, baby clothes isle, men's clothes, women's clothes, school supplies, groceries, anything and everything was there. We used our broken Kirundi and French to navigate around, weaving in and out of isles on the hunt for a hidden treasure. At last we made it do our destination, women's clothes; it was well worth the effort. There were isles and isles and racks and shelves full of clothing, I even found a dress from Wal-Mart. There were endless possibilities of shoes. I was so impressed and surprised that I had been missing out on this experience, right here in downtown Bujumbura. The best part was I walked away with a super cute black skirt and had only one attempted pick pocket!
You may have heard we recently got unlimited internet at our house. I think we've only mentioned it to maybe 100 people; we're not excited at all. This means that we haven't been to our favorite coffee shop to visit our favorite Baristas. We had a few hours to kill this morning so we went into town, simply to visit with them. It was really special to have them ask after us, 'Are you okay?' 'We haven't seen you for so many days' they asked. Maybe we were going too much? I don't know, but I did miss my barista friends, we have good conversation, they care about us, they are our community. I love that we have been here long enough where our presence is missed. And long enough to make friends in the community. Like a man who sings in the choir at church, we discovered he works downtown as a tailor, by chance we ran into him on 'fabric lane'. We have labeled it this 'cause the whole street is filled with tailors and seamstresses and shops full of fabric. Maybe he will be my tailor now.
It seems like we go through cycles. We learn and discover and meet new places and faces and then settle in, get familiar, create a routine. Then after awhile we are ready to meet, and discover and learn again. So friends, be ready. I think we are on the verge of the 'beginning again'. I'm excited, are you?



The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with Hotmail. Get busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment