Friday, April 16, 2010

What good is that?

James has been challenging me lately, causing me to wonder what good my faith is if I'm not putting it into action. This teaching has many implications but mostly I'm feeling convicted about how I treat those in need here in Burundi. He reminds us that religion is worthless if we are not visiting the widows and orphans in their affliction or if we SAY to those who are naked and hungry 'be warm and filled' but do nothing to help. His words stung a little because that is always what I say to them, "I'm sorry, I have nothing to give you." In fact just yesterday I had this phrase translated into Kirundi for me so I could better communicate with those who daily ask me to supply their need. But even if I say it in love it is a lie, I do have something to give them. I am reading a book called "When Helping Hurts" about how helping the poor can really hurt them when it's done incorrectly. The author acknowledges that hands down American's today are the richest people in history. We have so many resources and choices available to us. What right do I have to say to these people 'I have nothing to give you'. I've mentioned before that perhaps money and food for today are not the solution to the problem but what is? Are they cursed forever, set to live in poverty for the rest of their lives? What is God asking me to do? What is God asking you to do? I can't just ignore them, the reality is everywhere, the contrast so blatantly obvious. My prayer for today is that God would begin to show me how to live out my faith, how to act in obedience to what the Father is calling me to do.

James 1:27 "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction and to keep oneself unstained for the world." 2:15 "If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, 'Go in peace, be warmed and filled,' without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment