Monday, March 1, 2010

Giving up control

For some reason I forgot, I forgot that nothing is an easy process here, nothing ever happens the way I think it should. Going into town is not a simple process, I can't just get in my car and drive I have to first walk to the bus stop, flag down a bus-which may or may not be full, sometimes waiting for the 5th or 6th one- then ride a long, hot, sweaty ride to the market where I will then walk several blocks to my destination. I forgot, somehow in my three months between Malawi and Burundi, that this is all very normal, it is life here in Africa. It's just the way things are, they take longer and are often times more frusturating that America. I forgot that I can't just walk into a post office and expect the cashier to hand over the stamps, no she wants to know where the envelope is, never mind I don't have the envelope, the letter isn't even written yet, but she cannot imagine why I would want to buy stamps if I wasn't going to give her a letter in return. I forgot that thinking outside the box is not everyone's forte. I forgot that sometimes they don't bring the drink I ordered because, well, they are out of the one I ordered but they didn't ask or communicate this minor fact they just bring me a different replacement. A friend was sharing with us how he has come to the conclusion that he is giving up control, he has been working in Bujumbura for 6 months and he has realized that things don't work the way you want them to, you can't control life here, you can't function the same way as you do at home. Such wise words. I want to be done as well, done expecting things to be the same, done being disappointed with results. I want to be okay if it takes an hour to get stamps or ride into town. Jen Willson always said 'if I get one thing done today it will be a good day' :)
These last few days have been a little frustrating. I am realizing what a spoiled American I am, my computer has decided not to charge and my ipod isn't working, I disgust even myself, those are just small problems in a place where I am always reminded of those who live with deeper issues, but it does add an extra layer of complication when I can't replace the things I've become dependent on. Will you be praying with me that I will trust the Lord to provide, to meet every NEED just like he says he will? You can also be praying that he will heal my computer.
We had a great ceremony on Friday, the President of Burundi came to speak at the dedication of the clinic, you can see the photo of his guards at the school campus and the almost completed Library/classroom building- doesn't it look great!
I've attached some pictures of our recent explorations around Bujumbura, our goal for Saturday was to make a memory, I think we accomplished that, we walked around for the better part of the day, spreading cultural diversity everywhere we went, getting a great tan and discovering lots of new places. Did you know there is a theater in Buja? Or that you can have a picnic lunch with a view of the Lake and the Congo Mountains? When I say we spread cultural diversity I mean that everywhere we go people are excited to see us, well most everyone, they yell our name from across the street, like we are celebrities, 'Mzungu, whitey, American, Chinese, blanco', I'm not really sure what there intent is in playing the role of captain obvious but we've decided to embrace it. Anytime you feel like you blend in with the crowd or that your not unique come to Burundi, one walk downtown and your self esteem with improve. You are special and everyone notices you!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, that sounds amazing. That's why I think I'm Burundian, that sounds so much better than having every stupid detail "planned" here in America. We just think we're in control anyway. Keep enjoying it, sister! Enjoy the organized chaos! :)

    ReplyDelete