Saturday, March 27, 2010

Being a Sender

This last week while I was in Kenya at a Free Methodist Missionary Retreat we talked a lot about how important it is to be encouraged while on the field. Sometimes we desire support but don't feel free to express that need. We understand how it's easy to feel overwhelmed by the enormity of supporting a missionary alone. So let me help you help me. We brainstormed 10 easy ways for you to send love. Feel free to choose one. It's just as necessary to be a 'sender', to support, as it is to be working and serving overseas. For myself or for another missionaries you know; I challenge you to take up your role as a sender!

1. Send a handwritten letter through the mail. It's really meaningful. Our address is:
Hope Africa University
BP 238
Bujumbura, Burundi
Africa

2. Send a digital message. Email, Facebook. Just a quick note of encouragement.
3. Send a family photo for my refrigerator or bedroom.
4. Call a missionary's family members to see how they are doing. My parents need as much support some days as I do.
5. Help Missionary's family communicate overseas, you can ask the Harris Family for specifics on that one :)
6. Mail a care package. It's not impossible and might be a great small group activity!
7. Have a Sunday school class write letters or draw pictures.
8. Schedule a Skype call with your missionary or facebook Chat, its not impossible and means so much, its also really helpful for us to stay connected with one another and for you to be updated on ministry.
9. Send an email, letter, gift for my birthday- June 6th.
10. Be a Prayer Team Member praying for personal requests, feel free to ask specifics anytime.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Steph-
    Sounds like you had a good time in Kenya. :) Reading this blog reminded me of another blog I read a few months ago, and thought it could be encouraging. http://fm.thevillagechurch.net/blog/missions/?p=319

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I can't stop from asking, have you got my package yet?!!!!!!! Ugh, it's killing me to not know if it's lost or just slow getting there...or if you got it and hated it. :( Ha, j/k!

    ReplyDelete