Monday, August 23, 2010

To Market to Market to buy...

My friend Javier says he likes Burundi 'cause things happen at a slower
pace than other places. I would say I totally agree, today the highlight
and climax of my day was walking to market with Fredian-a gal who helps
keep our apartment looking fabulous. I started the walk down the stairs
when I heard her voice. It's been two and a half months since seeing my
friends so it's been a time for lots of hugs and catching up. I stopped
where she could see me and what followed was priceless- a squeal,
greeting and big hug, not just the Burundian you tap my shoulder, I tap
yours but a full body embrace. I asked her to come with me to market-we
usually buy our eggs nearby (we learned our lesson trying to bring them
home on the bus) and I also needed to see a tailor, which I really
needed her for as I have forgotten all my broken Kirundi and French-so
much for bartering for vegetables :( So we set out, catching up on life.
As we crossed through the church yard I met another friend, or rather a
friends of my mother's. She also gave me a giant hug, no words exchanged
but then that's not really necessary when your just thankful to see one
another. We continued on our way, stopping for eggs, drawing the
attention of plenty of people at the market, and stopped to get some
shirts taken in. I'm so thankful for Fredian, she works with diligence
and is always willing to help, even if that means taking a mzungu to market!

No comments:

Post a Comment