Friday, August 20, 2010

Never too late to apologize

For all these things I complained about, I'm sorry. All the things I
didn't realize were so great and took for granted, again I apologize. It
truly is all about perspective. I never thought I would be happy to be
called Mzungu but yesterday it was as if my entry into East Africa had
been made official, so thank you to the Kenyan gal on the side of the
road who welcomed me back. It really was like coming home today, the
nervous excitement was there. I'm no longer a rookie so I filled out all
the correct visa paperwork and walked right through the airport. It was
all familiar, a little dustier than and hazier than when I left but
still good ol' Buja. We even drove by the lake, how could I forget how
beautiful it is. And then walking into my apartment with my pictures all
up-why didn't I take them with me? Surrounded by familiarity was so
comforting. There are big changes like paved roads and new power sources
but it's still HAU. Somehow all that was not very good before has become
new and exciting again. I would recommend a two month vacation to anyone
feeling down, shake things up, enter a new culture, a new country and
upon return what you thought was kinda plain is instead really beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment