Thursday, August 19, 2010

Joy

What is with the unspoken rule that comes with flying in an airplane?
You would never dream of leaving your things unattended anywhere else
but suddenly you walk into this germ capsule and all the rules change,
you leave your laptop and all other belongings stored somewhere above,
not exactly in your line of sight and yet it's all there when you leave.
In fact you can even walk to the bathroom and still no one touches your
stuff. I kinda like it. Yesterday was a long but uneventful jouney. So
many things could have gone wrong but they didn't, just the way I like
it. My baggage came through, the driver was there to meet me, all visas
and paperwork went so smoothly. I can only credit it to your prayers!
This morning I went to the Nigerian Embassy first thing, praying for a
breakthrough, usually it takes three days to process a visa for Nigeria,
I needed it 'now, now' as we say in Nigeria. Thankfully I was backed by
fasting and prayer in Kenya and US and Nigeria, praying that I would be
a good steward of the Lord's finances, that the visa would be issued so
I wouldn't have to cancel a plane ticket, and also so I could return to
the work in Emi-Woro. And it worked! 5 minues later I walked out with
what I felt like was a huge reward but really it was just a sticker in
my passport. The best part was as I 'trekked' -walked-home I felt so
happy. I have been praying and seeking the Lord about this for a month
and perhaps at times I made the decision a little more dramatic and
intense than it really was but the satisfaction of knowing I am just
where the Lord would have me and in a place that I have really come to
love just brought this intense amount of relief and joy! Deep, deep down
joy. Glory be to God! I treated myself to some snacks to break the fast
and as I relished in them on the walk home it was as if the sunny day
and birds were singing just for this time, to rejoice with me.Thank you
for walking with me. Now I am soaking up the changes that Nairobi
offers. It's no bush life here, there are coffee shops and big grocery
stores and even if all I do is look at the clothes it feels like a
little taste of home.Friday I will fly to Bujumbura, with each mile I
get more and more excited. Excited to see friends, to be 'home' for a
short while, to have a time of closure and relaxation- I never thought
I'd be vacationing in Bujumbura but it's all about perspective I guess.
In September I will return to Nigeria! I think what I'm most looking
forward to, apart from being back with the Myers is the reunion with the
boarding students, they don't yet know I'm returning, and I wouldn't
want to brag but I'm pretty sure we'll all be glad to see each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment