Monday, February 15, 2010

I had the greatest time this weekend. I went up country with some friends, it was a welcomed retreat away from the pace of the city. Less people, noise, traffic, heat and commotion. It was a chance to reconnect with each other, to refocus and to reenergize before classes begin this week. It again felt good to be back on familiar ground, we stayed at Kibuye (where I spent most of the month of August).  There is just something different about going upcountry, something so inviting. We had our 'Sunday service' on top of Mt. Hope- where Sister Connection has completed their first building and where HAU is beginning the construction of classrooms. It was perfect, just six of us sat on the mountain overlooking the green hills, so beautiful in the rainy season. We sang, prayed and shared. I was blessed and refreshed by my friends, by the body of Christ and by creation. Pictures couldn't do justice to the many layers of green on the hill, banana trees everywhere with touches of red dirt roads weaving through the hill. I am thankful that the God I serve is the same in Burundi as he is in America, I hope you find refreshment in the Lord this week.

Classes begin today Monday the 15th, the English Department will be giving placement exams to an estimated 1,800 English students in hopes of finding their correct level.  I have been thinking a lot about my time teaching in Malawi and going over and over the ideas I used in class, other teachers and I have been brainstorming about the great opportunity we have to build a foundation for these students, brainstorming about the best ways to approach this next semester. I am a little nervous about the things to come but mostly there is excitement! I am excited to meet my students, to connect what we are learning with their lives and to help them accomplish this great goal of not only learning the English language but of becoming leaders who will change their world. Pray for us, pray that we would learn from each other, pray for understanding and for confidence both for them to speak and for me to teach.

 



Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! :) Praying for you as you prepare mentally, physically and spiritually for the start of classes.

    Oh my, I just close my eyes and dream of what Sunday must've been like there. I'm so glad you were blessed, that sounds incredible!! Oh Kibuye and spot. Did you see little Axel, (I'm sure that's not how you spell it) the little boy I fell in love with?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked for him but I didn't see him :( Saw some other kids I recognized though

    ReplyDelete