Thursday, February 25, 2010

Organized Chaos

With a rhythm of organized chaos classes have begun and new students keep coming, I have 55 in my morning class and 36 in my evening class. They both have a different dynamic as there are different ages represented and different personalities, this is good, it will keep me on my toes. We have begun the course with reading comprehension, stories taken right from the Book of John and Acts, how great is it that I am able to use the Bible as text? I am blessed! Despite the large number of students classes seem to be going well, I try to weave group discussion and class 'activities' (really just games) into the day to keep it interesting. The students are already searching for boundaries and concrete rules, little do they know that no matter how long you search there is always an exception within the English Language, rules are only good for so long. Kind of like life here in Africa, I can search and search to find a reason or explanation for things but sometimes it just is a certain way and that's the end of the discussion. I am enjoying teaching them new ideas, learning a new language is tough but they are doing well. We meet two days a week for 2.5 hours. On Monday and Wednesday mornings or Tuesday and Thursday nights, if your up late or rise early you can be praying for our class time :)
I recieved a letter from America today, thank you to the third grade girls at WFMC! One Dollar and twenty days later I felt loved! (the cost and travel time of the letter) Thanks for your support!
I also continued tutoring my new friends from Greece this week, they are not quite as eager to learn as my university students but the one on one time is so valuable, I appreciate their willingness to try.
There will be a dedication for HAU's new medical clinic this week, it is another milestone of progress and represents the importance of this African University facing African problems. The clinic will be a place for student nurses and doctors to practice their skills as well as serve as an outreach to the community, we are excited to be here to see it all take place.
We have surpassed the length of most short term mission trips for American's, I am proud of us and am excited to see what's ahead. When I first arrived Pastor Josh wrote that he hoped I would feel the deep love of Jesus while I was away and I am happy to say that I do, it comes in waves as I'm sitting on the bus or walking downtown or am in the middle of giving a lecture on pronouns, it is there that deep, faithful, fill your soul love that comforts and bring hopes and sustains me for today.
You can continue to pray for creativity as a teacher, how to effectively teach such a large class, for continued health and safety and for divine appointments that we would be meeting the right people at the right time who are ready to hear the good news of Jesus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment