Monday, January 10, 2011

refugee

Today was really special. I prayed (had church services) at Dzaleka refugee camp today. Our brothers and sisters there have every reason to be hopeless. They have lost all control, they had no control over the situations in their countries that forced them to leave, they had no control over where they would be placed and many of them have no control over their current lifestyle-somehow trapped in this camp. They can apply to leave to another country, apply to be integrated into Malawi or to travel home but still they have no control. But we know who does. And you can feel it in the room, from the moment the worship begins you can feel it. The energy is different. These true followers of Christ are committed to following the one who is in control. Who sees them even though they are displaced from their country, who sees them as someone who has endured much as someone longing to be filled by the God of all nations He sees them. I loved everything about today's service, I loved the joy, the fact that I recognized worship songs from my time at HAU, I loved that they sang a song in French, I loved that we can identify with one another-this world is not my home, we are all strangers. I even loved the smell in the room as we began to dance and dance and dance, this scent brings memories and feelings that only Africa can conjure up. I loved walking away refreshed by the spirit in the room, knowing these people really love the Lord. I felt at home with these Free Methodist brothers and sisters representing Burundi, Rwanda, and DRC, a little like my year began at HAU with students from Burundi, Rwanda, and DRC. Today was really special.

No comments:

Post a Comment