Monday, January 10, 2011

Last Year

One year ago today I spoke to a group at WFMC about the desire I had to serve in Africa in 2010. What a long time ago that now seems. I should have known it was going to be a year that would amaze me when in just one night that small group was able to meet my entire budget for the year! The Lord is definitely for my good and for yours and for all those I’ve worked with this year. He is for our good! Faithful to comfort me when I was overwhelmed with a class size of 50 students, faithful when I wasn’t sure if I would get the visa’s needed to travel to Kenya and Nigeria x2. He was constantly providing for my needs in the form of friends on public transport and roommates who understood life here and in mentors in lovely women like Bridget and Jen. He was my friend during lonely times travelling to Ethiopia, Kenya, Burundi, Rwanda, Nigeria and Malawi.  He is the one who always makes sense, whose yes means yes and whose no means no. He even fuels my passion for teaching English and for the Hope Academy boarding students. He is the one who gives me courage to teach, to speak and to defend, to swim in less than ok water and to drive on less than safe roads. He supplies the patience I so desperately need and when I ask “are you kidding me?” he says no this is really how it is. Love doesn’t always look the same in the places I’ve been this year, but Christ’s love does. I’m really grateful for how inconsistent my time has looked this year because it causes me to lean on the consistency of Christ. Thank you WFMC for being obedient to the Lord for being an extension of the church in Burundi and Nigeria and Malawi, for amazing me with your generosity and for faithfully partnering with me this year, I could not have done it without you.

1 comment:

  1. Steph,
    you are such a huge blessing to Africa! I am totally encouraged by reading through your blog and how much the Lord is using you. Thanks for taking the courage to serve in Africa.
    Your spirit of humility leaves us yarning for you to come back to Burundi.

    Isaac

    ReplyDelete