Friday, June 4, 2010

News from Nigeria

Now that I'm here in Nigeria, instead of so far away planning about what
will happen, I have a better picture of what the next few months will
look like. What I will be doing, what will occupy my days, who I will
work with. I think it's going to be better than I imagined. I have
started this week to observe the primary school classrooms. The goal is
that I can then offer the teacher advice about classes, listen to their
struggles and see for myself what would best serve the students and
teachers. I might even get to aid in the actual teaching, which I'm
finding very hard not to do already. As I'm observing everything within
me wants to take over but who would that help? The students when I leave
in two months and they have to adjust again? The teacher who wouldn't
learn by someone else doing their work for them? No, so I'm trying
really hard to practice self-control and watch, wait, listen and then
react. The school session will end in 5 weeks, I'm confident that change
can happen in that time, even if it's small, even if it just reinforces
what they already know. I also get to enjoy some time with the kids who
are boarding here at Hope Academy. 22 boys, 1 girl- full of energy and
curiosity. I'm looking forward to sharing life with them.

1 comment:

  1. Good thing you've been attending Rachel's living room how to teach classes ;)
    I'm so glad that you are doing something great!!!
    (I thought I'd comment, even though I don't have much to say, because I know how important comments are!!!)

    ReplyDelete